How long should I bake the chicken breasts?
It depends on the size of your chicken breasts. If they’re large, you’re looking at 20 to 25 minutes. One of the most common mistakes with baked chicken breasts is leaving them in the oven for too long. For people without a ton of kitchen confidence, it can be tricky to tell if chicken is cooked through unless you slice into it, which can cause all those flavorful (lemony) juices to escape.
You’ll get the hang of being able to tell just by feel (it should be firm but not rock solid) but until then, we recommend using a thermometer. 165° is your magic number for cooked-through chicken.
Perfect Oven Baked Chicken Breast
YIELDS: 4 PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 5 MINS TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 40 MINS
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs.)
- 1 lemon, cut into thin slices
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375º. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Drizzle oil all over chicken and generously coat with seasoning mixture, shaking off excess. Scatter lemon slices in baking dish then place chicken on top.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through, or reads an internal temperature of 165º, about 25 minutes.
- Cover chicken loosely with foil and let rest for at least 5 minutes. Garnish with parsley, if using.